Alard String Quartet
40 years of music
The Alard Quartet was an American string quartet active from 1954 to 1994. Formed at the Juilliard School of Music in 1954 under the direction of Hans Letz, original members included Seymour Wakschal and Donald Hopkins, violins, Arnold Magnes, viola, and Jorge Sicre, cello. By 1960, members were Donald Hopkins and Joanne Zagst, violins, Raymond Page, viola and Leonard Feldman, cello. This foursome stayed together for the rest of the quartet’s career.
…flawless melding of four sounds…immaculate tailoring of phrases and cadential seams…vigorous and tightly controlled performance…
Philip Norman, The Christchurch Press, (NZ) July 8, 1981